Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Hard Goals vs Smart Goals

I'm attending the Saskatchewan Principal's Short Course and yesterday our first keynote, Gwen Keith spoke on "The Multiple Roles of the Principalship." One item of interest was an introduction to HARD goals. SMART goals are the ones I'm familiar with where the goal is:
Specific
Measurable
Attainable
Realistic
Timely.

Gwen mentioned that SMART goals are for management and HARD goals are for leadership. A HARD goal is:
Heartfelt (something you are passionate about)
Animated (you can picture the end result)
Required (necessary for survival)
Difficult (require learning new skills)

I think that HARD goals are great for technology implementation because you always have to learn something new. I'm in the process of developing one for our One-to-One project this fall. To decide if a goal meets the criteria you can go to this site and take the supplied quiz.

I also found this Globe and Mail article on the topic interesting!

No comments: